Looks like the Great Firewall or something like it is preventing you from completely loading www.skritter.com because it is hosted on Google App Engine, which is periodically blocked. Try instead our mirror:

legacy.skritter.cn

This might also be caused by an internet filter, such as SafeEyes. If you have such a filter installed, try adding appspot.com to the list of allowed domains.

Suggestion: More Audio Reinforcement

ubiquityman   December 7th, 2012 1:16p.m.

When I'm using Skritter, I feel I'm missing out on audio and pronunciation reinforcement.

An easy software change may be to play the audio for the character ever time a stroke is drawn within a character, or every [x] seconds.
I'm thinking that the "stroke action generating the audio" would further reinforce the mental relationship between the character and the (audio) word.

Even more difficult and further departure from your core product, would be to have more audio. Perhaps one or two sentences of audio showing how the Chinese word is used in a sentence, just to hear Chinese speech and get the ear accustomed to the sounds. Printing the Chinese sentence with the spoken audio in this case would even be better. Sorry, this suggestion is a further departure from your current product.

Perhaps you can do this with the synthesized TTS system by just reading sentences from a book? (if your program already does this, then I haven't got far enough into it yet.)

nick   December 7th, 2012 2:25p.m.

We used to have sentence-based TTS, but there was a bug with it where it would occasionally glitch out and play audio for the wrong sentence. We weren't able to track down the bug, so we turned it off.

As we're working on a new example sentence system, a way to get audio for some of the sentences is something we'll definitely keep in mind if we see an opportunity.

mratranslate   December 11th, 2012 8:21a.m.

good point ubiquityman. Yes, audio for the example sentences would be a welcome addition, especially for the less common characters and to help memerise through the use of audio context. Thanks,

This forum is now read only. Please go to Skritter Discourse Forum instead to start a new conversation!