Looks like the Great Firewall or something like it is preventing you from completely loading www.skritter.com because it is hosted on Google App Engine, which is periodically blocked. Try instead our mirror:

legacy.skritter.cn

This might also be caused by an internet filter, such as SafeEyes. If you have such a filter installed, try adding appspot.com to the list of allowed domains.

Mnemonics

夏普本   December 15th, 2012 1:10p.m.

Are there only mnemonics for individual characters and not for words?

nick   December 15th, 2012 1:25p.m.

On the iOS app, that's almost true: it doesn't show the word-level ones, just the char-level ones. (If you have personally written/chosen a word-level mnemonic but not a char-level mnemonic, it might show up on the iOS app.)

On the web, you can have mnemonics for both levels, but hardly anyone uses the word-level ones compared to the char-level ones. (Which is why we didn't really put them in the app.)

夏普本   December 18th, 2012 5:54a.m.

Is it a simple thing to add? I feel like they are not very easily seen which is why they are not really used. I started using memrise and this was a great way for me to remember the meanings, but i don't like its recent changes. I use skritter mainly for the writing and tone memorisation but would be great if I could learn everything in one place. Maybe having the mnemonic show up underneath the meaning when you reveal it would give people a better, easier chance to view it.

nick   December 18th, 2012 1:39p.m.

If you want to use word-level mnemonics for when doing definition and reading prompts prompts, they're already in. The complicated thing we haven't done is offering both word- and char-level mnemonics in writing and tone prompts. The interface for that would not be simple.

nomadwolf   December 19th, 2012 10:34a.m.

I wouldn't use either, but my suggested interface (only when you're on a multi-character word that has a mnemonic) would be to change the pulldown into 2 pull-down buttons, 1 on left & 1 right side of screen.

Buttons would be labeled "W" and "C" (can probably use similar styling as current pull-down) and would pull down related mnemonic.

not 100% intuitive, but not particularly complicated.

This forum is now read only. Please go to Skritter Discourse Forum instead to start a new conversation!