Looks like the Great Firewall or something like it is preventing you from completely loading www.skritter.com because it is hosted on Google App Engine, which is periodically blocked. Try instead our mirror:

legacy.skritter.cn

This might also be caused by an internet filter, such as SafeEyes. If you have such a filter installed, try adding appspot.com to the list of allowed domains.

経る shown wrong in top space area -> bug in very old version?

dc1   December 14th, 2012 1:22p.m.

Hi guys,

because the new ipad-version doesnt include a dark theme (which I use nearly all the time and thus need) I downgraded to an old version of skritter that was saved in my itunes account. The version I'm using right now is "1.0.4 - 2012-09-02", which sounds very old.

Now to the bug I encountered in this old version:

Right now I was writing the japanese kanji for へる. The correct writing seems to be 経る, which is infact what skritter asks me to write. In the top area where the complete kanji is then shown, the shown kanji differs from what I was asked to write. The lower left part of the kanji is not shown as a long middle stroke accompanied with 2 smaller strokes on each side, but 3 small strokes next to each other - similar to the katakana "mi", just not strokes below each other but next to each other. The rest of the kanji is identical.

Maybe this is/was a bug in the old version I'm using right now and has already been fixed? If not, consider this a bug report :)

ジェレミー (Jeremy)   December 14th, 2012 3:22p.m.

Actually, that's how it also works in the most up to date version too. The reason for that is because the font used to display readings is the iOS font, which is separate from the font that is used on the actual writing screen, which is decided by the app.

dc1   December 14th, 2012 4:01p.m.

so both writings are correct and only differ in the chosen font? i looked it up and was only able to find the writing practice version on wadoku.de (japanese german dictionary). to me the writing practice version of the kanji and the displayed version at the top of the screen look like two totally different kanji that way.

strange. but thanks for the answer.

one other sidequestion: you guys have explained that a dark theme wont be implemented for the native ipad app. could it be possible to implement a choice-box to switch between the new ipad graphics and the old 1x/2x-iphone graphics (letter including the dark theme)? i am asking because i really want to continue to use the dark theme but it feels like my totally outdated version of the app doesnt perform as good as the version i had before i downgraded when it comes to stroke recognision. I would prefer to use the last iphone 4 s version of the app, the one right before the native ipad app update was released, but because of apples stupid update process limitations i am not able to get that version anymore. :/

nick   December 15th, 2012 1:13a.m.

It's not possible to use the old, scaled, 2x version in any iPad-aware app, no.

dc1   December 15th, 2012 3:58a.m.

bummer, but thanks for the answers. maybe at some point in the distant future you will have the time to create the blacktheme for the ipad app. hope never dies.

dc1   January 9th, 2013 3:54p.m.

hi, ok I have no problem with the lower left part of heru (or for example 結) anymore. thanks for explaining.

but now i saw the kanji for cold (drinks) and I am confused again. the difference between writing and the fully displayed kanji is huge in my opinion. i looked it up in Midori and the same differences are displayed there, too. so I realize there are again two different ways of writing this kanji?

here is the difference i am talking about: i am looking at the lower part.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/df/冷-red.png
vs

a quick google search results in the red version of the kanji being displayed more often in pictures but not in pc written sentences.

so is it again just a different type of font that was used (handwriting vs pc typing) and both versions are accurate? i guess the red version of the kanji is used in handwritten texts as well as (commercial) signs and the second version for standard pc typed sites/letters (maybe also street signs and tv-subtitles)?

would it be wrong to write 冷 when I'm writing a handwritten letter to a friend?

thanks for your help!

This forum is now read only. Please go to Skritter Discourse Forum instead to start a new conversation!