Looks like the Great Firewall or something like it is preventing you from completely loading www.skritter.com because it is hosted on Google App Engine, which is periodically blocked. Try instead our mirror:

legacy.skritter.cn

This might also be caused by an internet filter, such as SafeEyes. If you have such a filter installed, try adding appspot.com to the list of allowed domains.

Mnemonics not showing

ablade   December 7th, 2012 9:50p.m.

For some reason my Skritter stopped showing mnemonics on my iPod touch.

Does anyone know how i can fix this?

nick   December 8th, 2012 3:47a.m.

What are some words for which you're not seeing any mnemonics? Does it show "Create a mnemonic" when you open the tapdown area to look at the mnemonics? And were these your mnemonics that you wrote/chose, or the default ones?

俞翰森   December 8th, 2012 6:19a.m.

This have started for me as well. Before I had the default ones but now I can only see the ones I have created my self or the ones I have actively chosen from the web page. This started some 5 days back for me. I did see them after upgraded to latest version for but last weekend or so they disappeared.

ablade   December 8th, 2012 9:35a.m.

It says "create a mnemonic" in ALL the characters. I've never created any myself like Mandarinboy2, though; but I like to see the ones that have been submitted since they're good and effective for me most of the time. However, now I can't even see the ones I remember were definitely there before.

I do recall now that it all began when I was testing different languages in the definitions, specifically German, French, Italian, Japanese, and maybe Spanish but I don't quite remember. The last one I tested before reverting back to English was Japanese, which by the way didn't work even though it synched and everything (all the others ones did).

ablade   December 10th, 2012 12:44a.m.

*sigh* Still no answer...

I guess there's no solution but to delete and re-add my lists maybe? That just sucks because my membership expired yesterday and I have like 300 new characters I wanted to review before purchasing it again...

It's impossible to re-add words without a membership. I tried before. Maybe that should also be fixed since it's advertised that you can always just review without a membership, but it's a bit misleading.

pts   December 10th, 2012 2:05a.m.

As Mandarinboy has said, “now I can only see the ones I have created my self or the ones I have actively chosen from the web page”, it proves that the mnemonics system is still working at least to a certain degree. To have the mnemonics displayed, one need not delete and re-add one's lists, but simply choose the desired mnemonics from those already submitted, and they will be shown. Deleting and re-adding will not help in this matter.

I don't know if there are any problems will the default ones. But I do know that they won't be displayed if less than a certain number of users have chosen them. May be enough people have deselected them, so they are no longer available.

pts   December 10th, 2012 11:59a.m.

Just checked with the character 带. This one has one mnemonic that has 42 votes yet no default mnemonic is shown.

nick   December 10th, 2012 1:35p.m.

I'll work on figuring this one out today. Y'all are talking just about the iOS app, right?

pts   December 10th, 2012 1:59p.m.

No, I'm checking it on the web.

ablade   December 10th, 2012 5:49p.m.

In my case, as I mentioned in my first post, I am indeed talking about the iOS app.

nick   December 20th, 2012 5:08p.m.

ablade, I see the problem--thanks for the great debugging info. It's just as you say: when switching source languages, all the words get redownloaded but without the top mnemonics included. I've gotten the fix in there, but it'll only take effect when the next app build goes out.

Until then, if you'd like, you can do a Clear Local Data from inside the app's settings and everything should redownload anew with the mnemonics in there again.

This forum is now read only. Please go to Skritter Discourse Forum instead to start a new conversation!