Looks like the Great Firewall or something like it is preventing you from completely loading www.skritter.com because it is hosted on Google App Engine, which is periodically blocked. Try instead our mirror:

legacy.skritter.cn

This might also be caused by an internet filter, such as SafeEyes. If you have such a filter installed, try adding appspot.com to the list of allowed domains.

Skritter frustratingly slow

chris2012   December 11th, 2012 12:07a.m.

I had to take time out from skritter for around two weeks. Since I came back it's been frustratingly slow. I have around 500 words to get through.

When I select 'next' the last character stays on the screen. Far too often I do a stroke and it's not picked up. When I move the mouse around black dots appear all over the screen.

I am using Skritter from China, on the most recent stable version firefox from UBUNTU. My internet connection is fast.

Is there anything I can do to speed things up a bit or anything that might be slowing things down from my end?

Thanks

nick   December 11th, 2012 12:19a.m.

Hi Chris2012--sorry about the slowness! I think you might be getting the same Linux Firefox Flash interaction bugs as described in this thread:

http://www.skritter.com/forum/topic?id=237666293&comments=13

Do those reports match your experiences? (Ignoring the manual-saving-of-reviews issue discussed there; that was something else.)

Right now, the only workaround I can suggest would be to try an older version of Firefox, from before Firefox 17, where the Skritter Flash performance started tanking like this.

Mats   December 11th, 2012 1:34a.m.

I just got "still looking for one to add" or something just looping and not getting anywhere, like the server is not responding.
I will try chrome

Mats   December 11th, 2012 1:49a.m.

Nope "Still looking for one to add" now in chrome as well.
Well I'm off to work.

templerschaf   December 11th, 2012 7:37a.m.

I had troubles with the new Flash ( 11.3 and up ) on Ubuntu with Chrome. I disabled it and used an old Flash version ( 11.2 r202 ).
Here's my Dropbox link for it:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/5814768/libflashplayer.so

I am Still getting the black sprinkles, but at least it's fast.

chris2012   December 12th, 2012 1:14a.m.

Okay, I downloaded Chromium Browser and there is a marked improvement in using Skritter.

I don't mind having/using Chromium just for skritter.

Thanks for your help. I've booked marked the other discussion in case it slows again!

This forum is now read only. Please go to Skritter Discourse Forum instead to start a new conversation!