Looks like the Great Firewall or something like it is preventing you from completely loading www.skritter.com because it is hosted on Google App Engine, which is periodically blocked. Try instead our mirror:

legacy.skritter.cn

This might also be caused by an internet filter, such as SafeEyes. If you have such a filter installed, try adding appspot.com to the list of allowed domains.

Add to Skritter bookmarklet

nick   February 23rd, 2010 3:37p.m.

I've made a bookmarklet that you can use to add any Chinese word to your Skritter queue. You drag the link to your bookmarks bar, then when you're browsing a web page, you select an unknown word and click on the bookmarklet. Bam, into your queue.

It's the last tool on the vocab page:
http://www.skritter.com/vocab
Try it out and let me know if it works. (It doesn't work for Japanese yet.)

JB   February 23rd, 2010 4:01p.m.

That is pretty sweet!

west4east   February 23rd, 2010 5:06p.m.

OMG that is soooo friggin' sweet!!!

ximeng   February 23rd, 2010 6:10p.m.

Nice. A few suggestions of things to think about. First you could make the add page take it to the vocab item's page in your queue.

E.g. add 昨天 could take me to

http://www.skritter.com/useritem?lang=zh&base=%E6%98%A8%E5%A4%A9&vari=0

If it's already in my queue, let me know - it's good to know that I've already studied something, even if I've forgotten it temporarily. Maybe even bump it up a bit in priority.

Secondly, and as a natural extension to the above, links to online dictionaries on the vocab page would be really nice. Then the workflow is see a word you don't know, highlight it, add it with the bookmarklet, check the meaning, and optionally research it more.

At the moment I use an nciku bookmarklet (see my comment in http://www.skritter.com/forum/topic?id=513697 for the link if anyone's interested, there's a Perakun one there too, don't know if they still work) to look up words I don't know quickly. It might be nice to use Skritter for this instead. Look up a word, see how well I supposedly know it, or add it if I don't know it, and get links to dictionaries to study it in more detail if necessary.

Finally on that same page maybe an option to "disable" or "pause" a word in the queue if you decide you don't want to study it right now.

jww1066   February 24th, 2010 8:23a.m.

That's awesome. Thanks, Nick!

nick   February 24th, 2010 9:35a.m.

We'll see about taking you to the vocab item's page or otherwise adding more info on that page, so you can see what's going on there. Scott's got plans to merge that page and the lookup menu, which I guess is exactly what you describe, plus some other stuff, so it'll become a lot more useful. Eventually.

As for right now, it should already tell you when it's been added, although the text looks similar enough that you might not have noticed. This is the same page as happens with the MDBG add, by the way.

ZachH   February 26th, 2010 1:12p.m.

Has anyone got this booklet to work with Chrome in some way?

nick   February 26th, 2010 2:29p.m.

Works in Chrome for me, same way as in Firefox.

jww1066   February 26th, 2010 3:31p.m.

Works for me. I'm running Chrome on Windows XP.

James

sarac   February 27th, 2010 10:32p.m.

Well that's nifty, saves some effort on my part but makes my queue grow...

sarac   February 27th, 2010 10:55p.m.

A question: It seems to create a new skritter tab each time. Is that just my settings or do I just need to keep closing tabs? (Chrome on W7)

nick   February 28th, 2010 12:08a.m.

I don't know another way to do it. A little annoying to have so many tabs open up, it's true.

This forum is now read only. Please go to Skritter Discourse Forum instead to start a new conversation!