Looks like the Great Firewall or something like it is preventing you from completely loading www.skritter.com because it is hosted on Google App Engine, which is periodically blocked. Try instead our mirror:

legacy.skritter.cn

This might also be caused by an internet filter, such as SafeEyes. If you have such a filter installed, try adding appspot.com to the list of allowed domains.

Finished with 101, now what?!

DaveBay   December 29th, 2012 11:07a.m.

Hey folks!

I just finished with Skritter 101. It took me one month. I currently live in China and am studying hard, but I don't know what list to study next! I am doing self study and don't have a teacher.

I have long term goals to be fluent. But I don't know where to go next! Please advise!

Thanks!!

夏普本   December 29th, 2012 11:16a.m.

Hsk or npcr.

蓓蕾   December 29th, 2012 11:26a.m.

I would suggest getting a textbook and following along the lessons. That way you will be learning the vocab within an example text, and will (if you actually do the exercises) also practice grammatical sentence formation. Lang-8 or another similar website can help correct your exercises.

There are a wide variety of books to choose from, and most of them have pre-made lists on Skritter.

CC   December 29th, 2012 12:42p.m.

I'd suggest New HSK. Some of the words are also in skritter 101, so you won't do them again, but will be getting exposure to more words.

A textbook is a good idea too though. Many of them are on here, which is just such a good feature!

Good luck!

DaveBay   December 29th, 2012 7:22p.m.

(deleted)

SkritterJake   December 30th, 2012 3:52a.m.

Hi DaveBay,

Congrats on finishing Chinese101! I hope you found the list helpful. If you are looking for more exposure to commonly used words than the New HSK list might be useful, however, I would recommend checking out a few textbooks from a local bookstore and diving in to more context related materials. I'm not too familiar with Mainland textbooks but it seems like New Practical Chinese Reader would be a good start, they have a solid framework and it should give you a lot of necessary vocabulary for living in China.

Lang-8 or italki can be great resources from writing practice after lessons, and Verbling.com might be a good way to focus some of your conversation time on things you are learning.

I think the most important thing is to set some goals for yourself and at least find a language partner who can help explain trouble spots for you, or help to fix pronunciation errors, as those are the kinds of things that are hard to come by with random strangers on the street.

Best of luck and be sure to let us know how things are going!

Best,
Jake

DaveBay   December 30th, 2012 9:07a.m.

Thanks guys! That's great advice. My co-worker is going to help me with language- mainly pronunciation after she takes a big teaching exam.

I think I'll try the new HSK list 1 to hold me over until January. I should be going home then and hopefully for Christmas I'll be getting a textbook! :D

@ Jake! Thanks! I'll definitely check out those websites!!

You guys are the best. Seriously, this app is like the best thing to happen to my Chinese study and the only reason I'm able to learn so many characters and actually enjoy doing it.

This forum is now read only. Please go to Skritter Discourse Forum instead to start a new conversation!