Looks like the Great Firewall or something like it is preventing you from completely loading www.skritter.com because it is hosted on Google App Engine, which is periodically blocked. Try instead our mirror:

legacy.skritter.cn

This might also be caused by an internet filter, such as SafeEyes. If you have such a filter installed, try adding appspot.com to the list of allowed domains.

Hints for jumping from simplified to traditional characters

west316   April 22nd, 2010 9:32a.m.

I have been uploading a ton of lists lately and have been watching the side by side of traditional and simplified characters. With the exception of radicals, the differences aren't too bad. There are still quite a few differences, though. Has anyone found any good resources for learning traditional characters if you already have a decent base in simplified ones?

pts   April 22nd, 2010 3:24p.m.

You can find 2 tables (第一表, and第二表) here at http://www.stlcls.org/s-words/Simplified_word.htm showing the relationship between some simplified and traditional characters. Look at the second table 第二表 first, especially the 14 radicals at the rightmost column. Once familiarized with them, you can determine the relationship between many simplified and traditional characters through analogy. The first table is also very important, which shows the other methods of simplification that is different from those used in table two. Knowing these two tables is the first step forward.

west316   April 22nd, 2010 6:11p.m.

This is a great table. Thanks. My brain had already started picking up on some of the radical differences, but this helps wonders.

ChrisClark   April 24th, 2010 7:28a.m.

I used zhongwen.com as my resource when I started learning traditional characters, though I'd already been using it heavily before. I still use it as my main reference for character decomposition and learning.

This forum is now read only. Please go to Skritter Discourse Forum instead to start a new conversation!