Looks like the Great Firewall or something like it is preventing you from completely loading www.skritter.com because it is hosted on Google App Engine, which is periodically blocked. Try instead our mirror:

legacy.skritter.cn

This might also be caused by an internet filter, such as SafeEyes. If you have such a filter installed, try adding appspot.com to the list of allowed domains.

Tone differences

dfoxworthy   September 26th, 2010 11:51a.m.

I have noticed that some tones that I learn are wrong on Skritter. The problem is actually due to the tone usage differences from Taiwan to China. An example of this is 情形。 On Skritter they are requiring me to learn it as 形 having a neutral tone, where as my book and native speakers I have asked all use the the second tone. Is there a way to customize the tones?

nick   September 26th, 2010 12:09p.m.

When you see a word like this that should allow the full tone, use the feedback button in the lower right while practicing to let us know. In most cases, we can add an exception such that the full tone is allowed to satisfy Taiwan-style Mandarin.

This forum is now read only. Please go to Skritter Discourse Forum instead to start a new conversation!