Looks like the Great Firewall or something like it is preventing you from completely loading www.skritter.com because it is hosted on Google App Engine, which is periodically blocked. Try instead our mirror:

legacy.skritter.cn

This might also be caused by an internet filter, such as SafeEyes. If you have such a filter installed, try adding appspot.com to the list of allowed domains.

Skritter Addiction

littlebob   December 13th, 2008 9:26p.m.

Is nicotine or heroine part of the algorithms? I never thought that practicing characters was a terribly fun way to spend my free time before, but now I find that it is very hard to stop. Does anyone have any tips/tricks for combating this affliction?

george   December 13th, 2008 9:59p.m.

I've found that in general the best remedy is a family-led intervention. In my case, I had become so addicted to Skritter that eventually I had to admit that I had a problem. It wasn't easy, and it's taken months to rid myself of the overwhelming need for "just another character," but I think I'm finally clean. I'm just back to see how things are coming . . . you know . . . see how different things are . . . just . . . . . . . .

jiangl   December 13th, 2008 10:05p.m.

I mean, it starts so innocently. You're just writing a simple 六 with a friend at parties, maybe a 话 or two if you've had a rough day and need to relax. Next thing I knew, I was freebasing radicals in a dirty alley.

littlebob   December 13th, 2008 11:08p.m.

I find myself unable to stop looking at my progress graph. Even when I haven't studied any characters, when I've been doing something else, I keep checking it.

George - I'm starting to know the "just another character" line very well. I feel so giddy and excited when I'm about to click that "next" arrow to see what character character I'll have to draw next.

Seriously though, I think that having the characters just keep on coming without any breaks or "done" messages is the best idea. When I used to practice writing on paper, I would set a goal to write a character 20 or 30 times. But, I would always stop after completing whatever goal I was working on. With Skritter the way it is, it is much easier to keep practicing for longer amounts of time since there aren't any stopping places. At least with the way I'm using it with the auto integrated chinese lists.

nick   December 14th, 2008 10:32a.m.

You guys are funny. Skritter is perfectly safe, even for kids! Especially for kids. Seriously, give it to kids, get them started early.

On Chinese, I mean.

Chloe   December 14th, 2008 1:49p.m.

You guys should hop on the anti-drug wagon and get billboards that say "Skritter. My Anti-Drug."

trina   December 14th, 2008 2:11p.m.

Nick, I don't think Miles is ready for Skritter... yet.

Gnome   January 9th, 2009 6:31p.m.

Ya, I've noticed that I now spend hours practicing characters on skritter, in between classes and after school. I even do it instead of my actual school homework, which is beginning to pile up. But what can I say, it's the best Chinese Learning Tool out there. Even my Chinese instructor (from China) says it is amazing.

Tortue   January 27th, 2009 6:19a.m.

I agree with you all guys !

Still wondering how could I spent alost 6h in 2 days practicing my chinese ! You all did a great jobs.

I would also like to thank the team to make trad chars as well available (a lot of websites/books do not includes them) as I only learnt trads before.

This forum is now read only. Please go to Skritter Discourse Forum instead to start a new conversation!