Looks like the Great Firewall or something like it is preventing you from completely loading www.skritter.com because it is hosted on Google App Engine, which is periodically blocked. Try instead our mirror:

legacy.skritter.cn

This might also be caused by an internet filter, such as SafeEyes. If you have such a filter installed, try adding appspot.com to the list of allowed domains.

What other Chinese learning resources do you use?

nick   December 14th, 2008 1:20p.m.

I've been subscribing to a lot of Chinese language learning blogs in the past few days. There's a lot of great stuff out there. I'm going to get a bit more familiar with what I've found before making recommendations, but I'm interested in what you guys like. I've probably missed a lot. Tools, resource sites, personal blogs, whatever. Whatcha got?

Chloe   December 14th, 2008 1:50p.m.

I use a combination of the following:
mdbg.net
nciku.com
ChinesePod
My class
studying on paper where I can circle stuff and cross stuff out old-style. I'm a visual learner so anything like that helps.

littlebob   December 14th, 2008 2:16p.m.

I use the pimsleur audio cds a lot, I think they are really good for beginners like myself. I also use chinesepod quite a bit. And of course, I go to my chinese class where we use the Integrated Chinese textbooks, and Schaum's Chinese Grammer.

littlebob   December 14th, 2008 2:17p.m.
百发没中   December 14th, 2008 2:44p.m.

I used to use all sorts of books (ones that made my Chinese wife laugh when she saw how old certain terms were)...after getting more and more frustrated with them, I stumbled across Chinesepod and quite impressed.
So at the moment I use skritter to practice characters (and of course cctv...mainly childrens' programs:) and chinesepod for my vocabulary and oral comprehension....all I still really need is a grammar practicing program (might be something skritter could consider in the future...explain a grammar pattern and then let you write exercises).

jiangl   December 14th, 2008 3:26p.m.

Not a Chinese-only resource, but I use livemocha to social-network with Chinese-speaking students of English. I help them with English, and I figure, who better to answer my Chinese questions than actual Chinese people?

ZachH   December 15th, 2008 11:10a.m.

Has anyone found NCIKU really slow and unreliable? I love it, but I wish they would improve their servers.

The No.1 way to learn new vocab is to watch western movies in english, but turn on the chinese subtitles, and have an electronic dictionary nearby.

Translated subtitle language is always much simpler to read that native chinese. Although there is probably the downside of not that many grammar patterns used.

I do it this way because there is no way I can pick up new words from spoken chinese without repetition, my ears are just not that awesome.

Talking to chinese friends is obviously very good too =D

nick   December 15th, 2008 3:31p.m.

I find that nciku is usually perfectly fast, but uncommonly slow to the max. I don't find it unusable, though. Perhaps their service varies by location / time?

CCTV, though, is definitely too slow for me to use, at least the last few times I've tried it. Are they supposed to be able to serve outside of China?

Chloe   December 15th, 2008 3:39p.m.

"The No.1 way to learn new vocab is to watch western movies in english, but turn on the chinese subtitles"

Really? I think at least for me, the other way around is true. Chinese subtitles go by really fast, but sometimes I'll hear something familiar or new and then have the English translation at the ready, and it'll be wonderful. It probably depends on how you learn best though.

littlebob   December 15th, 2008 4:55p.m.

For CCTV, I use internet explorer (firefox doesn't seem to work). Some times of the day are better than other I have found for watching CCTV. Usually if I watch around dinner time (GMT +5) it works pretty well.

littlebob   December 15th, 2008 4:59p.m.

Whoops, that should have been (GMT -5)

Élie   December 17th, 2008 1:01a.m.

I love dict.cn, and I just discovered Chinese popup, it's pretty good.

sonorier   January 29th, 2009 4:16a.m.

http://www.yellowbridge.com/
I think it is just a tad better than dict.cn and it links to the example sentences of dict.cn.
Gives translation, build up of the character, etymology, words starting with the character, words ending on the character, ...the works
perfect for use together with skritter

of course chinese pod
my schoolbooks
lately getting more into SRS (before i studied characters on paper), this site being the best options of everything i tried

This forum is now read only. Please go to Skritter Discourse Forum instead to start a new conversation!